Salt Lake City, Utah, August 30, 2012 - Alliant Techsystems (NYSE: ATK) will test a GEM-60 solid rocket motor, Thursday, September 6. The 60-inch diameter graphite epoxy motor (GEM) is a commercially provided, reliable, low-cost propulsion system. It measures 43 feet in length.
What: Horizontal ground test firing of GEM-60
Date: Thursday, September 6, 2012
Time: 11:15 a.m. MDT
Where: ATK Aerospace Group facility in Promontory, Utah
. GEM-60 fixed nozzle qualification at cold temperature
. Brand new nozzle (previously built by supplier - now by ATK)
. The motor will be cooled to 30*F to measure solid rocket motor performance at low temperature
. When fired, the motor will produce a maximum thrust 270,000 pounds.
. GEM-60 motors have successfully boosted ULA's Delta IV M+ launch vehicles since 2002
. A public viewing area is available along State Road 83 North approximately 20 miles west of Corinne, Utah.
Note to Editor:
Media passes are required; contact Trina Patterson at (801) 699-0943 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Media requests must be submitted by 4 p.m. MDT on September 4
* Remote still cameras will need to be approved in advance and set up a day before the test
* Reporters will need to be on site by 9:30 a.m. the day of the test to be escorted to the viewing site.
* The media will be located in a viewing site optimal for photos and video.
* One-on-one interviews at the motor will be available prior to the firing
* Broadcast: Live equipment needs to be scheduled in advance to arrange for parking