Synopsis - Sep 13, 2006
Solicitation Number: N/A
Reference Number: NNJ0712345
Posted Date: Sep 13, 2006
FedBizOpps Posted Date: Sep 13, 2006
Original Response Date: Oct 02, 2006
Current Response Date: Oct 02, 2006
Classification Code: 18 -- Space vehicles
NAICS Code: 336414 - Guided Missile and Space Vehicle Manufacturing
Contracting Office Address
NASA/Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center, Houston Texas, 77058-3696, Mail Code: BG
NASA/JSC has a requirement for:
- United States On-Orbit Segment (USOS) Cargo and Experiment Delivery and Return – provide for the delivery, disposal, and/or return of USOS cargo or experiment items
- Integration of US science payloads that require interface with the Russian Segment of the International Space Station (ISS)
- Sustaining engineering and manufacture of the Space Shuttle Program (SSP)/ISS docking mechanisms
- Supporting updates to the joint ISS Inventory Management System software and operations
- Additional hardware and services to support ISS integration and operations including: additional Galley hot water dispenser for food preparation, Orlan telemetry matching units, trade studies, delivery of configuration management data, etc.
- NASA/JSC intends to purchase the items from S. P. Korolev Rocket and Space Public Corporation Energia (RSC Energia), subject to Department of State approval.
- The Cargo and Experiment delivery, disposal, and/or return will be performed using a Russian Soyuz or Progress vehicle. Besides the Space Shuttle, the Soyuz and Progress are the only vehicles currently compatible with and able to dock to the ISS vehicle. It is anticipated that the ISS Program will need additional capability beyond that of the Space Shuttle.
- RSC Energia is the sole integrator of the systems and operations of the Russian Segment and, as such, is uniquely qualified to provide the analyses and physical integration required for US science payloads to safely and effectively operate in the Russian Segment. As the entity responsible for overall integration and sustaining engineering of the Russian Segment, RSC Energia is the sole provider capable of ensuring that US science payloads interfacing with the Russian Segment are fully compatible and in compliance with all existing Russian standards for that segment.
- The SSP/ISS docking mechanisms were designed and manufactured by RSC Energia and provide for robustness and commonality with other ISS docking ports. As such, specialists at RSC Energia are uniquely qualified to sustain and manufacture the mechanism.
- The inventory management and hardware and services will provide commonality with existing on-orbit functions, which will allow for minimization of spares and crew training and continued safe ISS operations. In addition, RSC Energia was the original designer and current owner of the data that will be used to perform the services.
The Government does not intend to acquire a commercial item using FAR Part 12. See Note 26.
Interested organizations may submit their capabilities and qualifications to perform the effort in writing to the identified point of contact not later than 4:30 p.m. local time on October 2, 2006. Such capabilities/qualifications will be evaluated solely for the purpose of determining whether or not to conduct this procurement on a competitive basis. A determination by the Government not to compete this proposed effort on a full and open competition basis, based upon responses to this notice, is solely within the discretion of the government.
Oral communications are not acceptable in response to this notice.
All responsible sources may submit an offer which shall be considered by the agency.
An Ombudsman has been appointed. See NASA Specific Note "B".
Any referenced notes may be viewed at the following URLs linked below.
Point of Contact
Name: Stacy M. Holden
Title: Contracting Officer
Phone: (281) 244-8260
Fax: (281) 244-7563
Please follow SpaceRef on Twitter and Like us on Facebook.