From: NASA HQ
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 1996
1) To your knowledge, does NASA have formal, integrated mission and goal statements?
2) To your knowledge, does your installation (or Headquarters single-letter code) have formal, integrated mission and goal statements?
3) To your knowledge, does your division/work unit have formal, integrated mission and goal statements?
4) How clear is it to you what your role is in achieving the goals of...
|Your Division/Work Unit||58.0||28.3||8.0||5.8|
5) How familiar are you with the following documents?
|NASA Strategic Plan||23.1||40.8||25.5||9.2||1.4|
& Results Act
6) Do you believe NASA is implementing its programs in accordance with the Strategic Plan?
7) What would you say are the products and services that result from the work you do? Indicate the single most important product or service in column one and secondary or associated products or services in column two.
|1. Aeronautical technology||15.9||19.0|
|2. Science technology||8.1||30.8|
|3. Technology transfer||1.9||37.9|
|4. Program management||9.6||29.8|
|5. Program/systems documentation||1.3||20.6|
|6. Shuttle launches||9.6||16.4|
|7. Facilitating research activities||9.7||31.3|
|8. Space probes and experiments||6.4||19.7|
|9. Publications/information for the public at large||0.5||17.9|
|10. Publications/information for the scientific and/or engineering communities||2.7||29.2|
|11. Publications/information for the educational community||0.2||16.3|
|12. Publications/information for the media||0.3||11.0|
|13. Managerial guidance/direction||9.8||30.7|
|14. Development of budgets||2.3||26.9|
|15. Financial data/management||4.7||17.0|
|16. Training products/programs||1.1||12.9|
|17. Internal reports/memoranda/directives||1.2||27.7|
|18. Congressional responses||0.2||11.6|
|19. Legal services||0.8||3.6|
|20. Quality assurance||2.5||13.4|
8) Who are your external customers? External customers are defined as individuals or groups outside of NASA who use or benefit from the services and products that you provide. While the American public is clearly NASA's primary external customer, we are asking that you be more specific in this case in identifying those who directly use or benefit from your services. Please mark your primary external customer in column one and all that apply in column two.
|U. S. Industry & Business||45.3||43.3|
|Foreign Industry & Business||0.4||27.4|
|State and Local Government||0.5||24.5|
|Other Federal Agencies||9.8||56.3|
(K - 12)
(e.g., Association for the
|I have no external customers||12.2|
9) On average, what percentage of your time do you spend on work involving NASA's external customers?
10) On average, how frequently do you interact with external customers?
11) Who are your internal customers? Internal customers are defined as individuals or groups within NASA (other than your immediate supervisor) who use or benefit from the services and products that you provide. Please mark your primary internal customer in column one and all that apply in column two.
installation (HQ Code)
where I work
|I have no
12) On average, what percentage of your time do you spend on work involving NASA's internal customers?
13) On average, how frequently do you interact with internal customers?
14) Does your division/work unit set customer service standards?
If yes, does your division/work unit measure output against the established customer service standards?
15) Does your division/work unit collect customer satisfaction data?
If yes, what methods does your division/work unit use to gather these data from its customers? (Mark all that apply.)
|Informal phone calls/visits||75.9|
|Customer response cards||14.4|
|Integrated product work teams||29.0|
16) Are the customer satisfaction data collected by your division/work unit used to improve its products/services?
17) How confident are you that your division/work unit is fully satisfying its customers?
18) Are there NASA employees or activities who deliver products or services to you for use in your work (i.e., you are their customer)?
If yes, how satisfied are you with the services and products you receive as a customer? Mark Not Applicable for those services you do not receive, and indicate your satisfaction with those you do receive.
|Personnel administration services||35.2||45.7||13.1||6.0|
|Payroll administration services||59.5||34.7||3.7||2.2|
|Computer software/hardware support services||32.5||41.8||17.3||8.4|
|Public affairs support||33.7||45.4||14.1||6.8|
|Technical support services||38.4||50.8||7.9||3.0|
19) Have you been asked to provide feedback to your work unit's suppliers concerning your satisfaction with the services/products they supply you?
20) Listed below are potential barriers that may prevent your work unit from providing the best in customer service. For each item, indicate how much of a problem this is for your work unit in performing its job.
|Lack of skilled personnel||48.8||33.5||17.6|
|Lack of financial
|Lack of physical
(e.g., computers, space)
|Lack of staff
in decision making
|Lack of day-to-day
systems, and practices
|Lack of information
|Lack of teamwork
within organizational units
|Lack of teamwork
|Lack of control
education & training
programs and/or services
|Lack of time||26.9||45.7||27.4|
21) How satisfied are you with the following aspects of your current work environment?
|Amount of paperwork||8.2||16.1||29.5||32.7||13.4|
|Opportunities for advancement||9.5||20.2||17.4||28.2||24.8|
|Use of your skills on the job||33.5||35.1||10.2||13.5||7.7|
|Amount of independence||46.7||33.4||9.1||6.9||3.9|
|Feedback on your work||20.2||35.0||20.8||17.0||7.0|
|Physical work environment||38.3||34.5||13.9||9.3||4.0|
|Focus on customers||20.6||32.6||34.9||8.9||2.9|
|Your direct supervisor||38.5||30.8||12.2||11.5||7.0|
within work unit
22) Please indicate the extent to which you agree with the following statements.
|The members of my division/work unit have sufficient clarity about what is expected of them||31.8||39.0||9.0||15.8||4.4|
|My managers actively seek innovative ideas||27.0||34.4||14.1||16.0||8.4|
|Recognition and awards are nice, but the real reward is the work itself||24.8||39.4||15.5||16.1||4.1|
|NASA employees are treated fairly and equitably||10.7||31.4||17.9||26.3||13.7|
|Supervisors and managers take time to discuss career planning with their people||9.0||27.0||16.8||25.8||21.5|
|I am proud to work for NASA||63.7||24.3||7.1||3.7||1.3|
|People outside NASA have an accurate view of what the Agency is all about||1.6||12.5||12.0||43.4||30.4|
|NASA management communicates a consistent and clear strategic direction||4.0||17.9||17.0||34.4||26.6|
|The members of my division/work unit understsnd how their efforts fit into the Agency's cascading Strategic Plan||8.7||26.5||23.4||26.8||14.6|
23) Of which occupational group are you a member?
Engineering: includes professional|
engineering positions engaged in
aerospace research, technical program
management, development, operations,
professional engineering support,
mathematics support, computer science
and related work.
Scientific: includes professional scientific|
positions engaged in aerospace research,
technical program management, development
and operations, including professional physical
science and mathematics support and related
Life Science Support: includes life science|
professional positions such as medical officers
and other positions performing professional
work in psychology, the biological sciences,
and professions that support the science of
medicine such as nursing and medical
Technical Support: includes scientific and|
engineering aides, technicians, photographers,
illustrators, quality assurance specialists,
Administrative: includes secretarial, clerical
and administrative support
includes professional/management positions
in areas such as financial management,
procurement, personnel, security,
administration, law, public affairs,
Wage System: includes trade, craft,|
and general labor positions.
24) In column one, please indicate the NASA strategic enterprise or strategic function with which your work is most associated (check only one). In column two, mark all of those enterprises or functions with which your work is associated (mark all that apply).
|I don't know||6.7||5.5|
25) Do you directly supervise other employees?
26) Please indicate your age range.
27) What is your highest level of education?
|Less than high school||0.0|
|High school diploma||2.1|
|Some college, no degree||10.4|
|Associates (2-year) degree||7.5|
|Bachelor's (4-year) degree||19.6|
|Post-Bachelor's courses, no graduate degree||20.2|
28) How long have you worked for NASA?
|Less than 1 year||1.6|
|More than 30 years||15.4|
29) At which center or installation do you work?
|Ames Research Center||9.1|
|Dryden Flight Research Center||4.9|
|Goddard Space Flight Center||12.8|
|Johnson Space Center||12.8|
|Langley Research Center||11.2|
|Lewis Research Center||11.5|
|Marshall Space Flight Center||12.5|
|Stennis Space Center||4.0|
30) Please indicate your current grade level.
|GS1 - GS4||0.4|
|GS5 - GS8||7.2|
|GS9 - GS12||19.8|
|GS13 - GS15||66.8|
|SES or equivalent||5.7|
31) Are you a graduate of any of the following programs?
(Check all that you have completed.)
|Center sponsored administrative/clerical training||8.4|
|Center sponsored management training||34.8|
|Continual improvement training||35.9|
|Customer Service Training||8.1|
// end //