From: Swales Aerospace
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008
May 14, 2008
NASA Future Forum - San Jose
The Tech Museum of Innovation and Second Life
You're invited to join NASA leadership, astronauts, scientists, and engineers along with local business, technology and academic leaders and local, state and federal officials discuss the role of space exploration in advancing science, engineering, technology, education and the economy that benefits your community and the nation. The program features an exciting preview of NASA's Constellation Program - America's return to the Moon and beyond.
SL Event Contacts: Universa Vanalten, Caledonia Heron, astrodel zapedzki, Be Ewing The entire event will be streamed into a number of Second Life locations with opportunities for avatars to submit questions to the Panelists throughout the day; the topics for Panel discussion are listed below. Please submit your question(s) to Caledonia Heron via instant message (IM). Also, please join the Welcome to NASA group the day of the event to participate in group chat because participants will be virtually geographically dispersed to reduce lag. To keep group chat focused on the topics being discussed, please direct technical issues, etc. via instant message (IM) to the SL Event Contacts. Thank you.
8:30 a.m. Welcome by Peter Friess, President, The Tech Museum of Innovation
- Introduction of VIPs and Honored Guests
- Reading of Proclamations
- Short opening remarks
8:45 a.m. Keynote Address by The Honorable Shana Dale, NASA Deputy Administrator
NASA Deputy Administrator Shana Dale's avatar, Xena Dahl, will be inworld at the New Venture Hall for her Keynote Address, (POC: Avi Marquez)
Slurl: [http://slurl.com/secondlife/The%20Tech/191/158/37/] This portion of the program will also be streamed on NASA TV at [http://www.nasa.gov/qtl/151335main_NASA_TV_QT.qtl]. [http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html]
9:15 a.m. Overview of NASA Exploration Program, Mr. James Norman, Director, Constellation Systems Division, NASA Headquarters
9:35 a.m. Break
9:50 a.m. Innovation Panel: "Unleashing the Power of Technology and Creativity"
This portion of the program will be streamed from Extropia into the rl New Venture Hall where sl guests will be able to submit questions to the Panelists as described above.
(POC: Sophrosyne Stenvaag) Slurl: [http://slurl.com/secondlife/Extropia%20Core/127/100/22] Sample topics for discussion are:
- How has space exploration (or NASA aeronautics research) played a role in driving innovation and technology development of your industry or sector?
- How can big business, small business, and government work more effectively to meet the need to constant innovation in the 21st century, for the benefit of NASA and the country?
- Discuss the importance of innovation to your industry or sector?
- Has the importance of "innovation" changed in the global economy of today?
- What are the new trends regarding innovation, creativity, and technology development?
- How can NASA and/or future space exploration spur innovation in your specific industry sector?
- How can we ensure that we remain a nation of innovators? Moderator - Mr. Doug A. Comstock, Director of NASA Innovative Partnerships Program
Mr. Sourabh Satish, Architect and Distinguished Engineer, Symantec Research Labs
Dr. James T. Ryder, Vice President, Advanced Technology Center, Lockheed-Martin Space Systems
Mr. Liam Kiely, Vice President, Engineering, Converged Data Networks, Nortel
Mr. R. Joseph Cassady, Dirctor of Business Development, Emerging Exploration Technologies, Aerojet
10:50 a.m. Break
11:00 a.m. Discovery Panel: "Pushing the Limits of Knowledge to Inspire a New Generation"
This portion of the program will be streamed from Explorer Island into the rl New Venture Hall where sl guests will be able to submit questions to the Panelists as described above.
(POC: Jet Burns, Helion Enzo, Devery Barrymore, Caledonia Heron) Slurl: [http://slurl.com/secondlife/Explorer%20Island/182/216/22] Sample topics for discussion are:
- How has space exploration played a role in driving scientific discovery of your industry or academic discipline?
- Discuss the importance of "discovery" to your industry or sector?
- What is the importance of "scientific discoveries" to the global economy of today?
- What are the new trends in scientific discovery, creativity, and technology development?
- How can NASA and/or future space exploration spur scientific discovery in your specific industry sector or academic discipline?
- How will discoveries made about the Earth's climate or the climate of Mars affect us in our daily lives?
- How does NASA science and discoveries through exploration impact our lives? Improve the environment? Build our knowledge of the Universe and place in it? Moderator - Dr. Seth Shostak, Senior Astronomer, SETI Institute Panelists:
Dr. Jim Garvin, Chief Scientist, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Dr. Darlene Lim, NASA Ames Research Center/SETI Institute
Dr. Peter Vitousek, Carnegie Institute/Stanford University (Invited)
12:10 p.m. Lunch - Keynote Presentation by NASA Astronaut Rex Walheim, STS-122 Mission Specialist
1:40 p.m. Inspiration Panel - "Building Idea Factories for the Future" This portion of the program will be streamed from NASA CoLab into the rl New Venture Hall where sl guests will be able to submit questions to the Panelists as described above. (POC: Caledonia Heron, Be Ewing) Slurl: [http://slurl.com/secondlife/NASA%20CoLab/138/45/63]
Sample topics for discussion are:
- How do we enhance interest and performance in STEM and related careers?
- How do we reinforce individuals' creativity and ability to become innovators in today's workforce?
- How do we see NASA's role in inspiring students?
- How do we prepare students to solve problems that don't even currently exist as future members of the aerospace workforce?
Moderator - Dr. Mike Wiskerchen, Director, CA Space Grant Consortium
Dr. Joyce Winterton, Assistant Administrator, Office of Education, NASA Headquarters
Dr. Steven Beckwith, Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies, University of California; Director Emeritus, Space Telescope Science Institute
Ms. Diane Demee-Benoit, Director, Innovation in Education Project, Commonwealth Club of California
Mr. Peter Levy, Director of Strategic Development, Curriki
Ms. Kristin Hilf, Vice President of Community Relations, Raytheon Company
3:00 p.m. Closing Remarks and Wrap Up
Other Locations that will be Streaming the Event are:
International Spaceflight Museum - Spaceport Alpha, POC: Kat Lemieux Slurl: [http://slurl.com/secondlife/Spaceport%20Alpha/107/139/22/]
University of North Carolina - Pembroke: POC: Stone Semyorka Slurl: [http://slurl.com/secondlife/Dotoorak/209/204/251]
NASA appreciates your efforts to minimize lag during the May 14 Future Forum. You can determine your contribution to lag by going to Advanced -> Rendering -> Info Displays -> Avatar Rendering Cost
If you don't see the Advanced button at the top left of your screen to the right of the Help button, you can activate it by pressing on a PC: Ctrl+Alt+D or Ctrl+Alt+Shift+D, or on a Mac: Option+Shift+Open Apple+D..
You'll see a number above your head that will be green (good), yellow (so-so), orange (worse), or red (ouch!).
The Avatar Rendering Cost display itself is CPU intensive, since it's essentially profiling all the avatars all the time. So a good practice would be to walk around and turn it on when you want a glimpse- otherwise if you turn it on at all times, know your performance is suffering!
Learn more about avatar rendering cost at [http://blog.secondlife.com/2008/05/01/who-me-yes-you-couldnt-be-then-who-introducing-avatar-rendering-cost/]
// end //