From: NASA HQ
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2015
EONS-14 Amendment 13: New Program Element in Appendix M, NASA Minority University Research and Education Project (MUREP) American Indian and Alaskan Native Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Partnership (MAIANSP)
NASA’s Office of Education MUREP solicits proposals from American Indian and Alaskan Native Serving Institutions (AIANSIs) to develop and implement an evidence driven recruitment method/model to address the shortage of computer science graduates in historically underrepresented and underserved populations.
MAIANSP seeks proposals that address one of the following as a primary focus: (1) development of the American Indian and Alaskan Native STEM workforce; (2) strengthening STEM curricula at AIANSIs; and (3) increasing the pool of underrepresented and underserved students in computer sciences
The specific goals of MAIANSP award(s) are to
- Increase the level of STEM literacy and engagement of the American Indian and Alaska Native secondary and postsecondary levels through the utilization of culturally relevant and responsive subject matter.
- Create a diverse, highly skilled, and motivated future workforce in computer-related sciences.
- Advance the understanding of how to effectively teach computer programming concepts to historically underrepresented and underserved populations.
Through such collaborations, the specific objectives for MAIANSP awardees are to:
- Increase the number of historically underrepresented and underserved students who engage/graduate in computer science studies;
- Improve the rates at which students, who historically have been underrepresented in NASA-related fields, are awarded undergraduate and graduate degrees at their respective universities in NASA-related fields;
- Increase the diversity of the NASA STEM workforce; and
- Strengthen two-year and four-year MSIs in their curricula in order to attract more students into STEM-based academic programs, retain them, and prepare them for success when they take the next steps in their education or in their careers.
This Amendment creates Appendix M. Notices of Intent (NOIs) are requested by April 24, 2015, and proposals are due by June 23, 2015 at 11:59pm EST.
On or about March 20, 2015, this Amendment to the NASA Research Announcement "Education Opportunities in NASA STEM (EONS) 2014" NNH14ZHA001N will be posted on the NASA research opportunity homepage at http://nspires.nasaprs.com/.
Questions concerning Appendix M, NASA MUREP American Indian/Alaskan Native STEM Partnership (MAIANSP), may be directed to Torry Johnson, NASA Remote Detailee, Ames Research Center, Office of Education, Moffett Field, CA 94035; E-mail: NASAMAIANSP@nasaprs.gov.
// end //