NASA JSC/MOD Entry Options Tiger Team Presentation
From: Johnson Space Center
Posted: Thursday, May 1, 2003
Download 1.9 MB Powerpoint file
Results - Summary
- Weight reduction scenario 3 (consumables, deployable items, Spacehab jettison, and FREESTAR jettison) yielded the best results, with a total weight reduction of 31,321 lbm.
- Using certified deorbit targeting and STS-107 trajectory initial conditions, and the best case combination of other control variables, scenario 3 yielded the following results:
- WLE body point 5505 (RCC): ~ 7% reduction in WLE max. temp.
- Body point 1602 (tile): ~ 24% reduction heat load, ~ 34% reduction heat rate.
- Body point 2360 (tile): ~ 29% reduction heat load, ~ 56% reduction heat rate.
- Caveats to results:
- Detailed risk assessment was not performed, however it is clear that the increase in risk would be very significant in order to achieve these weight reductions.
- Numerous flight rule violations (e.g. consumables management, EVA, etc.).
- Numerous undocumented/unverified procedures (e.g. EVA jettison tasks, IFM, etc.).
- Combination of weight reduction categories (consumables, deployable items, and jettison) was not verified to be feasible (timeline, crew workload, detailed EVA task, etc.)
- All results were for a "no damage" scenario. For damage, the heat load and heat rate reductions would likely not be directly applicable, depending on the degree of damage.
- Best case combination of trajectory variables was not proven to be achievable.
// end //
More status reports and news releases or top stories.
Please follow SpaceRef on Twitter and Like us on Facebook.