NASA NOMAD: Upgrade to Microsoft Exchange 2007 Starts Next Week

Status Report From: NASA NOMAD
Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Subject: Upgrade to Microsoft Exchange 2007 Starts Next Week
From: Nomad-Outreach
Date: Tuesday, December 9, 2008

NASA's Operational Messaging and Directory (NOMAD), an Agency-wide messaging and collaboration system, provides Email, Calendaring, Webmail (Outlook Web Access - OWA), Instant Messaging (IM), BlackBerry, Treo and Windows Mobile Devices for approximately 50,000 users across the Agency. Starting in December and continuing through March 2009, all NOMAD users will be upgraded to Microsoft Exchange 2007. As a user of NOMAD services, you can expect to see the following improvements as a result of this upgrade.

Larger Mailbox Capability. The default mailbox size will be increased from 200mb to 400mb. 90% of users at each Center will have a 400mb mailbox size. The remaining 10% will have a 1gb mailbox size.

Improved Disaster Recovery (DR) and Continuity Of Operations (COOP) Capability. During a hurricane or other disaster, users will have access to their full mailbox once the failover procedures have been completed. We plan to make this feature available before the start of the 2009 hurricane season.

Improved WebMail. There is a new look to Outlook Web Access. To assist you in using the new features, a detailed step-by-step guide is currently available at

Before you receive the upgrade, expect to receive outreach communication five days before the change. The message will contain specific information concerning the date and time of the upgrade. If you participated in the Exchange 2007 pilot, you have already received your mailbox size increase. Your mailbox will be moved (if required) during the same time period as other users from your Center.

Should you have any questions regarding this activity, please contact the ODIN IT Help Desk.

Lula L. Wright
NOMAD Project Manager
NASA Shared Services Center

// end //

More status reports and news releases or top stories.

Please follow SpaceRef on Twitter and Like us on Facebook.

SpaceRef Newsletter